Colon and Prostate Cancer Prevention Project
Through the Meadows Regional Medical Center’s Colon and Prostate Cancer Prevention Project, a safety network of providers has been established to provide screening, diagnosis and treatment. Partners to date include: Vidalia Surgical Center, Dr. Robert Clark, Endoscopy Center of Southeast Georgia, Vidalia Urology Center, Vidalia Cancer Center, Vidalia Anesthesia Associates, Doctors Lab of Vidalia and Meadows Regional Medical Center.
Deliverables completed to date:
1. Financial Screening and Application form completed. Participants in the program must be 200% poverty level and uninsured.
2. The nurse case manager has started education programs, referrals and follow up for participants enrolled.
3. A total of 10 colonoscopies, 5 PSA’s and 22 Hemoccult screenings completed. No positive diagnosis found. A local free clinic is working with 1 case that had a positive PSA but situation benign. It has been difficult to find a resource for GI specialty.
4. 2 Focus Groups completed in Toombs and Tattnall Counties. Participants have suggested grant project develop worksite education programs and include families in the education programs. Resources are needed for transportation.
5. A Smoking Cessation Series of programs will begin in February. The American Cancer Society curriculum will be utilized.